A push for vaccinations and new restrictions hasn’t slowed down the fourth wave of COVID-19 in B.C.
The province ended the week with 867 new cases, the most in roughly four months.
Of those, 63, or just over 13.5 percent of the cases, were in the Island Health region.
There are now 5,657 active cases and after three more people passed away, all of whom resided in B.C.’s Interior, the province’s death toll has reached 1,807.
From Aug. 12-25, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 82 percent of cases and 85.9 percent of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Aug. 19-25) – Total 4,368
- Not vaccinated: 3,116 (71.3 percent)
- Partially vaccinated: 467 (10.7 percent)
- Fully vaccinated: 785 (18 percent )
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Aug. 12-25) – Total 213
- Not vaccinated: 169 (79.3 percent)
- Partially vaccinated: 14 (6.6 percent)
- Fully vaccinated: 30 (14.1 percent)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population (Aug. 19-25)
- Not vaccinated: 199.0
- Partially vaccinated 105.7
- Fully vaccinated: 24.9
Of the active cases, 159 individuals are in hospital and 84 are in intensive care.
As of Friday, Aug. 27, 2021, 83.9 percent (3,886,952) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 75.8 percent (3,514,485) received their second dose.
In addition, 84.6 percent (3,657,914) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 76.9 percent (3,326,997) received their second dose.
The new/active cases include:
- 61 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 393
- 350 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 2,190
- 228 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 1,377
- 165 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 1,132
- 63 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 555
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 10