VANCOUVER ISLAND, B.C- A strong wind storm is impacting the South Coast today.
According to Environment Canada, a powerful low-pressure system is running along the BC Coast this morning. It’s expected to make landfall near central Vancouver Island around noon, then head towards the mainland in the afternoon.
The system is bringing very strong wind gusts, that are expected to cause widespread damage.
“Sustained southeast winds of 50 to 80 km/h have already developed early this morning over much of the south coast and will increase to 70 to 90 km/h later this morning,” read the notice from Environment Canada.
“Winds will switch to southwesterly 70 to 90 km/h this afternoon, with stronger gusts likely above 100 km/h. Winds will ease this evening and shift to west to northwest.”
Residents of the following areas should use caution when outside.
- Sunshine Coast – Gibsons to Earls Cove
- Sunshine Coast – Saltery Bay to Powell River
- East Vancouver Island – Courtenay to Campbell River
- East Vancouver Island – Duncan to Nanaimo
- East Vancouver Island – Nanoose Bay to Fanny Bay