The following stories and statistics have been culled from the Powell River RCMP crime blog of the week for February 22nd to February 29th.
Total Calls for Service = 109
Impaired Driving = 1
Assaults = 5
Break and Enters = 1
Thefts = 5
Mischief = 9
Suspicious Person at Westview Elementary School
On Thursday, February 25th, two students at Westview Elementary were approached by two males believed to be between 20-30 years old. They offered to take the students for a ride in their “nice, shiny car”. The two students immediately advised a teacher and the suspicious males departed in a 2-door black car with flat black paint.
Description of the suspects:
1) Caucasian – between 20-30 years old with short hair, heavy darker beard. Seen wearing a black shirt and a black and red baseball cap.
2) Caucasian – between 20-30 years old with short hair, a baseball cap, and sporting a black shirt.
Male Arrested After Openly Carrying a Replica Firearm
On Thursday, February 25th, at approximately 3:15 pm, a concerned citizen reported that a male was walking around with what appeared to be a real semi-automatic rifle in the area of Duncan Street and Joyce Avenue. Multiple members immediately attended, located and arrested the male.
The firearm was determined to be a replica gun which was altered to appear real.
A subsequent search warrant was prepared which allowed officers to enter the accused’s residence and seize multiple other replica firearms.
Multiple Properties Vandalized By Graffiti
1) The MCC Thrift shop vehicle was tagged with graffiti while parked outside the business at 1-7030 Alberni St.
2) The Powell River Lawn Bowling Club located at 5714 Marine Ave located at was tagged with graffiti.
3) The Powell River cadet barracks located at 5389 Timberlane Ave was tagged.
If anyone has any information about these crimes, contact the Powell River RCMP – or to remain anonymous, call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222- TIPS (8477) or report online at www.bccrimestoppers.com.