Listen Live
HomeNewsStudent loan websites back online after hack; no personal info accessed

Student loan websites back online after hack; no personal info accessed

A pair of student loan websites are back up and running after being hacked.

The province shut down the StudentAid B.C. and LearnLive B.C. sites after they were apparently compromised on Sunday night.

For its part, StudentAid BC says no personal information was accessed.

What students saw when they tried to access the StudentAidBC website Sunday night.

After the hack, anyone trying to get onto the StudentAid site saw a black screen with “Guardiran Security Team” on the homepage, explaining that the site had been targeted by a group of hackers.

In a Twitter post Monday morning, StudentAid BC – which helps the cost of post-secondary education through student loans, grants, and scholarships – said they are aware the site is down and were working to “resolve an issue affecting multiple government websites.”

Later this week, StudentAid posted on its website that “On May 3rd, the StudentAid BC website, along with other government websites, was defaced.”

“As a result, the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training and the Office of the Chief Information Officer made the decision to take the website down while we investigated the matter further.”

The student dashboard is hosted on a separate platform from the website and was not compromised. 

StudentAid BC has confirmed that no personal information was accessed or compromised as a result of the incident. 

“Students should be assured that their personal information is safe and secure, and they can now securely login into their dashboard accounts,” it added. 

“The StudentAid BC website outage did not result in delayed payments to students. If students have an issue with their payment, they should contact NSLSC.” 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More