Listen Live
HomeNewsIsland & CoastCycling education coming to Powell River School District elementary schools

Cycling education coming to Powell River School District elementary schools

More cycling education will be coming to the Powell River School District through a partnership with HUB Cycling.

The course is set to begin next week for students in grades 4 and 5. It will be taught in all six Powell River public schools, fully funded, to 450 students.

The course includes five lessons that teach students cycling safety theory and on-bike skills via school ground training.

“We are very excited to be one of two communities to receive this free bike education program pilot for grade 4 and 5 students,” said Instruction, Learning and Innovation director Kristen Brach.

“Providing students with the opportunity to learn about active transportation and bike safety is invaluable to our community.”

HUB says this pilot project was made possible by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure as part of the Move Commute Connect Active Transportation Strategy.

Bicycles, adaptive bicycles and helmets will be supplied by HUB Cycling to ensure all students can participate.

“With this pilot – and hopefully expansion to more small communities – Powell River’s School District becomes a leader in providing students with the skills and knowledge needed to use active transportation and stay safe on our roads,” said director of Bike Education Rose Gardner.

“Raising a generation of sustainable transportation users is critical to realizing our health, climate action and vision zero goals.”

HUB says they will monitor the pilot outcomes by surveying parents and teachers. More information can be found here. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More